Learn to Dive
Whether you’re planning for your next vacation or looking for a new hobby, our Open Water Diver course will get you started. The course has 4 parts:
- Online academics: A self-paced intro to the class.
- Classroom workshop: Discuss diving practices and check out the gear.
- Pool sessions: Two days to learn skills in the swimming pool.
- Training dives: Four dives to show your skills in open water.
You need to be at least 10 years old to take Open Water Diver, and there is no maximum age because you are never too old to dive! These certification last your entire life, but if it’s been a while since your last dive, you may want to check out our Scuba Skills Update page.
We offer workshops and pool classes for the Open Water Diver course year-round.
“But what about the cold?”
That’s right, it’s a bit chilly to do your Training Dives during the winter, so we only conduct Training Dives out in the lakes from May through October. During the off-season, November through April, you can take only parts 1-3 of the course, and come back for Training Dives in May; or you can be certified as a Referral Diver.
A Referral Diver comes to Madison Scuba and tells us that they need to get Open Water certified before a luxurious warm-water vacation they are taking far from Wisconsin ice and snow. We get pretty jealous, but as long as they seem nice enough, we give them parts 1-3 of the course in the classroom and pool, and then set them up as a Referral Diver to do part 4 with another dive shop. When they get to their destination they do their four dives, and then they can dive for the rest of their trip.
Your class comes complete with the free DiveSSI app and free digital certification card so your training and logs go where you go. You’ll have the freedom to use your materials the way that you want to use them.
Every student in every one of our classes will use high-quality, weight-integrated BCDs and balanced regulators that are serviced regularly to maintain the highest standards of safety and comfort. You will be provided wetsuits to keep you warm in the pool and open water.
The course is set up to allow you maximum flexibility. The following days and times refer to our typical second-week-of-the-month pool schedule:
- Workshop: Wednesday 6-9:30pm OR Thursday 6-9:30pm OR Saturday 10am-3pm
- Pool: Saturday 4-8pm AND Sunday 7:45am-12pm AND Exam at the shop after pool session
- Training Dives 1&2(during applicable months): Saturday morning
- Training Dives 3&4 (during applicable months): Sunday morning
If you’ve always wondered what lies beneath the surface, now’s the time to find out. Start the journey of a lifetime with the Open Water Diver course, the basic diving course. It will change you forever.
- This course certification is good for lifetime.
- There are 3 parts to this course: Academic Workshop 1, Pool 1 & 2 and Training Dives Day 1 & Day 2.
- Each section takes between 5 and 8 hours.
- Extremely flexible times to allow for busy schedules.
- Private instruction is available.
- You need to be at least 10 years old.
- You need to have the most basic of swim skills.
- You need to have your own mask and snorkel. We have over 40 styles in stock for purchase.
- The course is conducted in Sun Prairie, WI.
- All necessary materials and gear are included in the price of the class.
- The cost of the course is $335.00 if you’re going to finish while on vacation.
- The cost is $385.00 if you’re completing the entire course with us.
- Register for this course below, swing by the shop or call us to get started today, (608) 219-5075.